Thierry practises corporate and commercial law with an emphasis on public and private mergers and acquisitions and securities laws. He acts for public and private companies in a variety of sectors including mining, oil and gas, clean energy, telecommunications, digital animation and visual effects, media and private equity. Thierry has experience structuring and leading complex transactions as well as assisting clients with their day-to-day business needs. Thierry is Vice-Chair of the Securities Law Subsection of the Canadian Bar Association (B.C. Branch) and an active member of Access Pro-Bono, an organization providing pro bono legal services for individuals and non-profit organizations of limited means in British Columbia.
Prior to joining the firm, Thierry practised in the Montreal office of a prominent Canadian law firm. Before that, Thierry studied engineering and worked for a software developer and for a mining company in Northern Quebec. Outside of the practice of law, Thierry enjoys bagging peaks and skiing fresh tracks.
Representative matters include:
- MacDonald, Dettwiler, and Associates Ltd. on its $850 million acquisition of the satellite manufacturing business of Loral Space & Communications Inc.
- TELUS Corporation on the proposed collapse of its dual class share structure and its proxy fight with Mason Capital Management LLC with regard to this proposal
- Mosaic Capital Corporation including on the listing of its securities on the TSX Venture Exchange by way of plan of arrangement, the $15 million acquisition of the mechanical contractor business of Ambassador Mechanical Ltd., the $10 million acquisition of Kendall’s Supply and the $25 million offering of preferred securities
- Glacier Media including on its $85 million acquisition of the B.C media businesses of Postmedia Network Inc.
- PolyMet Mining Corp. on the investment by Glencore AG
- Potash One Inc. on its $434 million friendly take-over by K+S Aktiengesellshaft
- Dixie Energy Trust, a foreign asset income trust, on its formation, its purchase of oil and gas assets in the states of Mississippi and Alabama, its initial private placement of $8 million and its going public transaction by way of plan of arrangement
- RealNetworks Inc. on its acquisition of Backstage Technologies
- Hardwoods Distribution Income Fund, Coast Wholesale Appliances Income Fund and Sterling Shoes Income Fund on their conversion to a corporation
- Radiapoint SafeCare Inc. on its acquisition of Casero (USA), Inc. and Casero Inc.
- Canadian National Railways on its $50 million acquisition of certain assets of Quebec Railway Corporation
- Pennant Foods on its acquisition of certain assets of General Mills
- Jubilant Organosys on its $255 million acquisition of Draxis Health Inc.
- Davie Yards Inc. in connection with its initial public offering and listing on the Toronto Stock Exchange
- Homburg Invest Inc. on its $1 billion hostile acquisition of Alexis Nihon REIT
- Berry Plastics (one of the leading makers of plastic products in the U.S.) on its acquisition of MAC Closures Inc.
- University of Victoria, LL.B. (2006)
- Université Laval, LL.B., Droit Civil/Civil Law (2005)
- Called to the British Columbia Bar (2009)
- Called to the Quebec Bar (2007)