Farris has a strong telecommunications practice with extensive experience handling a wide variety of issues for our clients.
This area of law overlaps with many other areas of expertise in the firm including intellectual property, technology and information law, constitutional, criminal, regulatory, and corporate law.
As long time counsel to British Columbia’s principal telecommunications company, we have participated and contributed to the development of modern telecommunications over the past 20 years, and remain at the forefront of an increasingly complex and competitive industry.
- Acted as counsel to TELUS in connection with its $6.6 billion acquisition of Ontario-based Clearnet Communications Inc.
- Acted for TELUS Communications (BC) Inc. in its acquisition of fibre optic network facilities in Canada and the United States.
- Acted for E-COMM Emergency Communications for Southwest British Columbia Incorporated in its acquisition of an integrated wide-area radio system for the Lower Mainland area of British Columbia.
- Acted as counsel to BC TELECOM Inc. in its $10 billion pooling of interest merger with TELUS Corporation.
- Acted as counsel for BC TELECOM before the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission in a hearing that considered whether or not it was in the public interest to allow competition in the public long distance voice market.
- Acted for Stentor, the national arm of the nine major telephone companies in Canada, in the regulatory framework proceeding before the CRTC which considered whether the regulatory regime arising out of a monopoly environment is appropriate in an increasingly competitive telecommunications industry.
(Click to view full bio)