Farris has been involved in Life Sciences in British Columbia since the beginnings of the industry, guiding our clients through some of the largest and most ground-breaking financing, commercialization, and merger transactions in Canadian history.
Our Life Sciences team, which includes numerous lawyers with science backgrounds and is led by lawyers recognized by Lexpert as leaders in their field, provides expert counsel in both corporate (including corporate finance, securities, and M&A) and commercialization (including licensing, development, and manufacturing) matters.
- Acted for Cardiome Pharma Corp. in connection with a $1 billion partnership deal with Merck & Co. Inc. (largest biotech partnering deal in Canadian history).
- Acted for United Therapeutics in connection with a license and a supply agreement related to the US commercialization rights for Eli Lilly’s product, tadalafil.
- Acted for Protiva Biotherapeutics Inc. in connection with the business combination by way of share exchange between Protiva and Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation, and related private placement of common shares with Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and an affiliate of F. Hoffman – La Roche Ltd.
- Acted for Aspreva Pharmaceuticals Corporation with respect to the sale of Aspreva for US $915 million to the Galenica Group.
- Acted for AnorMED Inc. in connection with the US $585 million contested cross-border acquisition of AnorMED by Genzyme Corporation, the first ever hostile contested bid for a life sciences company.
- Acted for Aspreva Pharmaceuticals Corporation in connection with the $113 million global initial public offering for Aspreva, the largest biotech IPO in Canadian history.
- Acted for QLT Inc. in connection with the US $855 million cross-border acquisition of Colorado based Atrix Laboratories Inc. by QLT.
- Acted for QLT Inc. in connection with its US $172.5 million US private convertible senior note financing, the first of its kind in Canada.
- Acted for QLT Inc. in connection with the development and commercialization of a strategic alliance between QLT and Novartis Opthalmics, leading to the world’s largest recorded opthalmic product launch.
- Acted for Inex Pharmaceuticals Corp. in connection with a licensing agreement with Glaxosmithkline to develop targeted anti-cancer drugs that encapsulate Glaxosmithkline’s camptothecin anticancer agents inside Inex’s drug delivery technology.
(Click to view full bio)