Food, Beverage and Agribusiness
Farris represents food and beverage producers, distributors and retailers with respect to a wide array of activities. Our clients include growers, wineries, distilleries, restaurants, food processors, retailers and industry organizations.
Our lawyers advise clients on a broad range of issues including:
- Purchase and sale of wineries, hotels, restaurants. processing and warehousing facilities and farm land;
- Mergers and acquisitions;
- Corporate commercial transactions;
- Regulatory compliance, including the Canada Food and Drugs Act, the BC Liquor Control and Licensing Act and the Canada Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act;
- Financing of food and beverage related businesses;
- Strategic partnerships with co-packers and distributors;
- Structuring business entities;
- Incorporations; Partnerships and limited partnerships; Joint ventures;
- Shareholders’ agreements;
- Supply chain agreements including distribution, franchise, retail and licensing contracts;
- Structuring promotions and marketing campaigns;
- Agriculture lending and recovery;
- BC Agricultural Land Reserve applications;
- Labelling and packaging laws;
- Internet sales;
- Branding and intellectual property; and
- Competition matters.
Litigation and Dispute Resolution Services
- Representation in regulatory enforcement actions by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) and BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB);
- Responding to compliance issues, audits and food facility investigations;
- Supply Chain, Franchising, Distribution and Corporate/Commercial Disputes;
- Defense of product liability and contaminated food and beverage claims;
- Class action defense; and
- International trade disputes.
- Employment agreements;
- Human rights issues;
- Workplace safety;
- Employee benefit plans; and
- Union negotiations and grievances.
- Tax and estate planning; and
- Reorganizations and restructurings for tax optimization.
- Acted for von Mandl Family Estates in the acquisition of Cedar Creek Estate Winery;
- Acted for the Mark Anthony Group with respect to the sale of the Canadian rights to Mike’s Hard Lemonade and Stanley Park beer to Labatts Breweries of Canada;
- Acted for J.S. McMillan Fisheries in the sale of fishing boats and quota to Pacific Seafood Group; and
- Acted for a group of investors in the acquisition of Greenstar Plant Products.
- Successfully represented the BC Vegetable Marketing Commission in a trade dispute before the Canadian International Trade Tribunal.
(Click to view full bio)