Corporate Social Responsibility
Farris’ CSR program supports local community events and charities that have a connection to our firm, employees, and clients.
Farris is among the leading law firm community contributors in BC. In addition to financial contributions, Farris lawyers and employees often participate in charitable events providing both leadership and support.
Some examples of our community contributions include the following:
- Farris lawyers take on cases from organizations such as the Access Pro Bono Society of BC (Court of Appeal Program, Family Law Program, Federal Court of Appeal Program, Judicial Review Program and the Civil Chambers Duty Counsel Program), the Salvation Army Pro Bono Program and Legal Aid.
- In September 2006, Farris donated $1 million to The University of British Columbia (UBC) Faculty of Law. This was the largest gift ever made by a British Columbia law firm at the time. Farris Hall, a prominent lecture hall situated within the new Faculty of Law building, opened in September 2011.
- Over the past six years, Farris and its employees have contributed over $750,000 to the United Way and its member agencies, and continues to be among the greatest contributing law firms in Vancouver. Farris was the recipient of an Award of Excellence recognizing 15 consecutive years of achieving “Gold” level status and was awarded the 2010 Quantum Leap Donors Award.
- The Farris blood donor program was established as part of the Canadian Blood Services/Annual Vancouver Legal Community program. Farris has been actively involved for ten years, winning awards in seven of those years for total donations made.
- Farris sponsors a team to play in the “Hockey Helps the Homeless” tournament, which raised over $400,000 in 2014 and went towards programs and resources for homeless people living in Vancouver.
- Farris has contributed $15,000 to Arts Umbrella, a non-profit centre for arts education for young people. Arts Umbrella reaches tens of thousands of young people annually, and the Granville Island facility alone hosts more than 270 classes each week.
- Farris participates in the Annual TD Bank Dunk Tank charity fundraiser. The event brings out “celebrity” participants from the downtown business community and proceeds go to Canuck Place and Ronald McDonald House. Our firm’s contributions are made in memory of one of our past staff members, Kirsten Stazyk.
- We sponsor and run a clothing collection program for Dress for Success, a program to help disadvantaged women trying to enter the workforce.
- Our firm supports the following organizations and events: BC Cancer Foundation; Prostate Centre at Vancouver General Hospital; British Columbia Paraplegic Association; The Weekend to End Breast Cancer; Central City Foundation Downtown Eastside; and Cypress Mountain Relay for Life. Farris also supports its employees in The Vancouver Sun Run; Climb the Wall for Clean Air; Science Fair Foundation Fun Run; Easter Seals 24 hour relay; Run for the Cure; and Bowl for Big Brothers.
- The firm has consistently supported Kelowna Minor Baseball, Ballet Kelowna, the Central Okanagan United Way, Okanagan Symphony, and the KGH Foundation. Recently, an agreement was signed with the University of British Columbia to establish an award in Legal Studies and we support the Okanagan Bar Association Endowed Entrance Award.
Farris has a long history of giving back to community events and local charities. Our efforts were recognized when, for the second straight year, Farris won the Corporate Social Responsibility Award at the Legal Marketing Association’s HELM Awards.
Farris Goes Green
Environmental responsibility is increasingly important to us and to our clients. As a result, Farris has established a focused team of lawyers and staff to uncover ways to reduce our carbon footprint, minimize the impact on our natural environment, and to ensure firm operations are undertaken in an environmentally responsible manner. Our “green team” is organized into five key areas and our mission is to identify and implement sustainable programs in the following core areas:
- Paper Consumption
- Environmentally Responsible Supplies
Our People on the Board of Directors for CSR Organizations
|Autism Community Training (ACT)||Alison Narod|
|Arts Club Theatre Company||Mitchell Gropper, Q.C.|
|BC SPCA||Marylee Davies|
|British Columbia Achievement Foundation||Keith Mitchell, Q.C|
|British Columbia Innovation Council (Immediate Past Chair)||Hector MacKay-Dunn, Q.C.|
|Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver||Mitchell Gropper, Q.C.|
|Leading Edge Endowment Fund||Hector MacKay-Dunn, Q.C.|
|LifeSciences British Columbia||Hector MacKay-Dunn, Q.C.|
|National Research Council of Canada||James Hatton|
|Pacific Parkinson’s Research Congress||Gordon Love|
|Pacific Parkinson’s Research Institute||Gordon Love|
|Royal Roads University||James Hatton|
|Tennis Canada||Hector MacKay-Dunn, Q.C.|
|UBC Law Alumni Association||Marylee Davies|
|West Vancouver Soccer Club||Robert Sloman|